History of the Erkel Theatre

The Erkel Theatre first opened its doors as the People’s Opera on 7 December 1911. The building, since refurbished a number of times, has been functioning as the Hungarian State Opera’s second venue since 1951.

The auditorium

Ever since it opened, Erkel Theatre has boasted the largest auditorium in the country. It currently seats 1819.

Bernáth Buffet

Erkel Theatre is home to two important pieces of art: both paintings on the buffet walls on the 1st floor are works by Aurél Bernáth.